It has been a long time since I spoke to you because I was overseas at Hainan Island, China. Do you know why I went to such a faraway place? Well, because my 92 year-old grandfather suddenly wanted to go back to his hometown to visit.
His hometown is in a village in Qionghai, which is quite big but not very clean because there is poo all around as the chickens and ducks were allowed to walk around freely. My grandfather also had a piece of land there which was passed down from his father, also my great-grandfather. The size of the piece of land is around the size of my school's classroom.
Everytime my family and I goes back to Hainan Island, we would visit my great-grandfather's grave and pay our respects to him. My aunt would also pray for 4 numbers from my great-grandfather. Last year, many people in my family actually won 2nd prize in 4D. The 4 numbers were 0981. This year, we got the numbers 9531, but we missed by one digit, which my aunt attributed to the lack of shouting "Huat" (meaning getting a lot of money in Chinese dialect)) when in front of my great-grandfather's grave.I really enjoyed the moment when I was at my great-grandfather's grave because I can pray to him and tell him what happened to me throughout the year. My aunt will also shout "Huat" very loudly and make my family laugh because it is very amusing. I have attached a video of my aunt shouting "Huat" and throwing the amulets over the grave.
Well, I learn a lot everytime I go back to my root of origins. I will always remind myself how lucky am I to be born in Singapore and to always remember our ancestors because without our ancestors, I would not be sitting here writing this blog post. According to the chinese saying, “饮水思源”(yin shui si yuan), meaning thinking of the source of water when we drink it, also meaning never forgetting our roots.
Well, blog readers, have you learnt anything from this post? I hope you did!
Goodbye!
Yes, the vid was very amusing!
ReplyDelete